Madhab Choudhury College (M.C. College), Barpeta, the fourth oldest college in undivided Assam, was established in the year 1939, when the entire India rose up vigorously against the colonial rule. The inception of this college was a manifestation of an aspiration of a few visionaries, who, imbued with the ideals of the freedom struggle, desired to contribute to building of a vibrant, resurgent, progressive and enlightened India, and with this purpose, wanted to create a generation shining with modern, secular and scientific education in this part of the country. Smt. Jibanlata Choudhury, a philanthropic lady of Barpeta, came forward to help these visionaries reach their goal, and generously donated Rupees ten thousand to start the process of establishment of this college. The untiring and selfless efforts of its founders, duly supported by public donations, emerged as winner, when this pioneering academic institution in the North—East lndia, named after the husband of this generous lady, was inaugurated by Loka Priya Gopinath Bordoloi, erstwhile ‘Prime Minister’ of Assam, on the 14th of July, 1939.
Since then, M.C. college has been undergoing a relentless process of growth. The college that was started with only twelve teachers and about thirty students is now a premier institution of higher learning with nearly seventy teachers and around two thousand students. Born as an arts college, M.C. College introduced its science stream in 1959. At present the determined effort of this college is to translate its promise to provide students of this locality with apt facilities for learning in all the streams into a reality.
The College is located at the heart of Satra Nagari Barpeta, the Headquarters of the District of Barpeta. It is nearly 95km from Guwahati and is well connected to the rest of Assam by road and railways. The Barpeta – Baghbor Road is in the east of the college, the FAA Medical College road in the south, the Gandhinagar area in the west, and the municipal market and public bus stand are in the north of the college. The location of the college is away from the din and bustle of the town. Valuable trees and lush—green vegetation lend to the college a pastoral magnanimity and perfect platform for intellectual growth in natural ambience.