NO. OF SEATS:
Major – 30 General – 50
The Department of Physics was established on 01-07-1959 and Honours course was started after a decade i.e., in the year 1969. Since then the department is ceaselessly working for more than five decades to promote higher education among students. The department has acquired a reputation in teaching H.S. and undergraduate level. At present there are three class rooms, five laboratories and a reading room in the department. The departmental library consists of more than 600 books to cater need of students of the department.
Activities: The department of Physics, M.C.College, Barpeta took various academic activities in the recent years of which following are worth mentioning.
- A seminar on “Problems of Big Dams” was organised by the department in the college premises on 12th Jan.2011.
- A national seminar on Nano-Science and Nanotechnology sponsored by U.G.C. and organised by Physics department was held on 31st Aug. And 1st Sept.2012
- The department organized an “Awareness Programme on Astronomy” at Chhayaram Girls’ Institute, Barpeta on 04.06.2015.
- Faculty members and students of the department visited IIT Guwahati on 09.10.2015 and Tezpur University on 30.09 2016 as a part of routine educational tour.
- Faculty members and students of the department are associated with different activities of Assam Science Society, Barpeta Branch to promote science education among masses. Dr. Malay Kumar Barman is discharging duty as Academic Co-ordinator of Children Science Congress, Barpeta District.
- Environmental Awareness Campaign on “Bio-diversity of Boira Beel”. Date may 05, 2008
- One day seminar on “Climate Change and Tele-medicine”
Notable Alumni: During last three years four students have cleared NET, one student has cleared SLET and GATE each. A good number of alumni are working in different govt and private organizations after completion of their studies. Dr. Abhijit Das, Dr. Hirakjyoti Goswami, two alumni of the department are working as Assistant Professors in the department of Physics Gauhati University. Mr. Pranjal Deka an alumnus of this department is working as Squadron Leader in Indian Air Force. Besides, a good number of students are conducting their research works at different laboratories in and outside the country.
No of the Students who Secured 1st Class/ CGPA Above 6.5 (D= Distinction) in Physics of Last 3 years
2014 – 03, 2015 – 03, 2016 – 04